About this Site:
My Thoughts On IT…covers CISSP, Brian Lewis’s, thoughts on things Information Technology related. This Tech Blog is geared for the technical reader who enjoys posts that are short and to the point with links for further information if interested. The articles include a range of topics from computer security, technical how to guides and videos to general technology trends.
Another thing I use this site for is as a reference that I can refer to in the future to get the details on how to complete some technical task. It is hopefully a little more polished than my OneNote Notebook, but I use it in a similar way that shares the data with everyone.
Brian Lewis works as an IT Pro Evangelist for Microsoft Corporation in the Midwest, where he focuses on exciting and educating the IT Pro audience on technologies.
Brian enjoys working with all computing and networking technologies. He enjoys everything from core infrastructure all the way to mobile devices including everything in-between. His roots are as a sysadmin focusing on networking and security, but also enjoys programming and IOT devices.
He started his technology career in 1992 working on Mainframes and Microcomputers for the Phone company. Then moving on into a consulting role he architected technical solutions to meet customers’ business needs. He states the best part of that was continually getting to solve new puzzles.
One of Brian’s passions is computer security and he holds the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification among other computer industry certifications. MCSE, CDE, etc. Brian holds a Bachelors degree in Management of Information Systems from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee. He is active in the local community with computing user groups and is often a speaker at these groups in addition to speaking at other computer conferences and technical events.
An accomplished, Microsoft Senior Technology Specialist experienced with global Fortune 500 corporations, Microsoft partner community, and global audience adoption. Recent experience as a Sr. IT Pro Evangelist generating enthusiasm and spearheading adoption of Microsoft’s newest infrastructure and cloud technologies to global accounts and Microsoft partner community. This is executed through designing content, presenting to large audience launch events, cultivating new user groups, and tweeting/blogging mindshare on Microsoft and competitive technologies. www.mythoughtsonit.com
Prior role includes 7+ years as a Major Accounts – Technology Specialist with a range of industry concentrations including Financial Investments and Banking, Manufacturing, and Healthcare. Technical Specialist role demands extensive co-customer strategic planning, risk analysis, and demonstrating business value to technical decision makers. Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft and competitive enterprise solutions. In-depth concentration in:
- Cyber Security: Auditing, Penetration Testing, Intrusion Detection and Prevention, Cloud Security
- Infrastructure: Desktop and Server Operating Systems, Server Applications: Exchange, Active Directory, and System Center Suite
- Virtualization Technologies: Server Virtualization, Hyper-V & VMWare, Application & Desktop Virtualization
Auxiliary experience in various capacities as IT Architectural Advisor for Partners and Non-profit organizations, Guest Speaking Roles for Universities and Users Groups. Personal passion around trustworthy computing, security vulnerability landscape, and current global cyber threats.
• Technical Strategic Vision • Technical Content Design • Measuring Organizational Value
• Systems Integration Planning • Technical Briefings / Demo • Large Audience Presentation Skills
Technology Expertise Highlights
• Server OS – incl. Windows 2012 • IT Security Methodologies • Active Directory
• Mac OS X • SharePoint – ECM, BI, Search • Cloud Computing
• Linux OS • Hyper-V, VMWare • Unified Messaging
• Desktop OS – incl. Windows 8 • Systems Center 2012 • Mobility iOS, Android, & Windows
Microsoft Corporation, Waukesha, WI (HQ-Redmond, WA) September 2002 – Present
IT Pro Evangelist – NA Central Region (1/2010-Present)
A senior technical and influencer role designed to be at the forefront of the latest platform innovations, collaborate with Microsoft product development and incubation on the latest technologies in infrastructure, security, and cloud; evangelizing global adoption strategy. Core concentration on both Microsoft and Microsoft competitive technologies in Infrastructure, Security, Virtualization and Cloud computing.
- Requires a strong competency in Microsoft and competitor’s infrastructure, virtualization, cloud, and security technologies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of large enterprise organizations technology drivers, challenges, adoption strategies
- Create showcase design wins and keynote technical content/demos that demonstrate the value of the Microsoft platform.
- Work with key influencers to build technical communities and amplify the Microsoft message
- Maintain proficiency on global technology trends, drivers, and challenges.
- Communicate opinions and technical expertise through blogging to community.
- Designed and delivered content/demos for major product launch events, to audiences up to several hundred attendees
- Worked with partners and academia in Midwest to launch 12 new users groups
- Designed and documented a comprehensive private cloud build out for Microsoft Cloud customer training purposes
- Worked with several local universities to present the Microsoft technologies and develop new academic youth users groups
- Developed proficiency in Microsoft competitive technologies with focus on VMWare, Oracle, Apple, Google
- Successfully growing online persona and global technical reach
- Developed webcast on Microsoft Private Cloud for distribution at Microsoft TechNet
- Delivered technology broadcasts on TechNet Radio
Major Accounts – Account Technology Specialist / Systems Architect (ATS) (9/2002-1/2010)
Designed as a direct customer “technical advocate”, responsible for aligning Microsoft technology, products, and solutions to customers business drivers. Partner with CXO level and IT Leadership within global Midwest headquartered organizations to drive measurable organizational business value. Collaborate with virtual account teams, subject matter experts, and business partners to cohesively develop strong business partnerships within account. Develop and implement thorough IT vision and roadmap planning strategies through technology briefings, architectural design “whiteboard” sessions, and Proof of Concepts.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of customers’ technical architecture, applications, proprietary standards, and IT strategies.
- Significant technical knowledge breadth across infrastructure, information worker and application development including.
- Strong persuasive demonstration and presentations skills.
- Maintain current training of Microsoft and competitive solutions.
- In ATS role, worked directly with CXO & IT Executive leadership multiple Midwest Enterprise/Major/Global customers in trusted technical advisory function
- Designed and delivered Microsoft Security Planning and Gap Analysis Assessments to 25 Enterprise customers.
- Profiled 52 Wisconsin based CAS customers for the IO capability gap analysis in all 3 IO models. Core IO, BPIO, and AIO.
- Created video Podcast for training Microsoft technical field staff on Application Virtualization.
- Developed Windows Gadget available for download on Microsoft.com RDP remote control tool.
- Average 40 customer technical briefings per year (Security, Virtualization, Infrastructure, Mobility)
- Regularly exceeded 100% of quota, final year in role finished at 118% quota attainment.
Novell Inc, Rolling Meadows, IL (HQ-Waltham, MA) February 1997 – September 2002
Senior Systems Engineer – Enterprise Corporate Accounts
Performed as a pre-sales technical expert responsible for aiding enterprise corporate customers’ technical vision, strategies, architectural design, process planning, and deployment of Novell infrastructure and management solutions. The role of Senior Systems Engineer requires a thorough understanding of the features, functions, capabilities, business benefits and market positioning. Responsible for demonstrating Novell server and management products to clients and partners, completing Proof of Concepts and clearly establishing business value and applicability.
Skills and Position Highlights:
- Design and deliver comprehensive presentations on Novell solutions in technical seminars and customer briefings.
- Increase customer / partner skills and knowledge of Novell and primary competitor automated systems management solutions including: Microsoft SCCM, Symantec Altiris, and LANDesk.
- Accomplished technical expert in enterprise directory solutions including Netware, eDirectory, iChain, NIMS, and NPS.
- Solid understanding in collaboration and identity management solutions including ZenWorks, GroupWise, NAM, and DirXML.
- Trained Novell and partners, such as Dell and Compaq, in identifying new client opportunities for cross collaboration sales opportunities.
Affiliated Physicians Health Management, Carol Stream, ILJanuary 1996 – February 1997
Led Information Systems Department. IT leadership role responsibilities encompass staffing, training, fiscal and budgetary proposals, procurement and negotiations. Accountable for overall technical architecture inclusive of projects, project delivery, solution design, web development, BI reporting, and identification and analysis of data trends.
Skills and Position Highlights:
- Direct responsibilities for the architecture, governance, technology delivery, help desk and support of systems including: EZ-Cap, Novell Netware, Netware Connect, GroupWise, and Sbackup. (to get sbackup to work you had to be good)
- Systematic improved quality and breadth of service while simultaneously flattening support and maintenance costs.
- Designed and implemented Standard IT Operations Procedures Manual
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
Bachelor of Business Administration -Management of Information Systems
· CISSP certification
· Certified Directory Engineer (CDE)
· VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (on vSphere 5)